Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pioneer Trek 2009

We were so excited to go on Trek again! There was a lot of preparation & time spent on getting things together - but it was so worth it! We went to the Deseret Livestock Ranch in northern Utah. (Above is a picture of our family.)
We were told to choose an ancestor. I chose my Grandpa Roscoe. He is such a wonderful example to me. He was a member for a short part of his earthly life-but in those years, he truly served the Lord as much as he could & he is someone I really want to be like. I trekked in memory of him.
We started on July 15th and we walked...and walked...and walked.

Around noon the men were called to serve in the Mormon Battalion. The women were left to pull alone. We had each other and I know the Lord strengthened us to be able to do the hard pull up the very long hill! There were only 4 girls, including myself so it was difficult. A sweet YW from the Polynesian ward joined us & it really helped.

The YM were told not to help as we came up. They had to wait until we reached the gate further up. I love the Women's Pull. It teaches us many things:
  • Women are strong. We can work together and do hard things.
  • The YM have feelings. It was difficult for them to stand idly by as we suffered.
  • With the Lord, all things are possible. He will provide a way to accomplish the things he asks of us.
Here are all of our wonderful and strong Young Women. I am so proud of all of them!

That first day we walked about 15 miles. The bread & soup was a most welcome meal. I slept pretty good that night.
The second day we walked more. The best part of it was the hoedown! After we reached our camp, we set up our tarp shelter & then there was fun to be had! Yippee! I had about 6 or so blisters, but I felt nothing as I danced around. I really missed my Chris - he had over 15 blisters & could barely walk. He hobbled around and took pictures though - what a sweetie!


It was so much fun seeing our youth as well as the youth from the second ward - many of whom were in our family when we went on trek 4 years ago with the 2nd ward. They have all grown so much - and yes, I know that I sound old when I say things like that.

Friday was considered our Sabbath Day. We ended up having our FHE this day since we ran out of time the night before. We had a fun activity - we played a variation of Red Light Green Light. We had it set up to be like our earthly journey - if you fell into temptation (moved when you were supposed to freeze) you had to start over. Chris was a great tempter, poor Todd didn't see that one coming. Chris told him that his pants were falling down & when he went to fix them, he had to go back to the beginning.
After a while of working as an individual, they joined hands and had to all work together to move across the field. It was a wonderful parallel that we need to work together as a family so we can achieve that blessing in heaven - Eternal Families. How much joy we will have when we work together and how sad it will be if one is lost.
The last day was a shorter walk...in comparison. Chris was so badly hurt that he had to drive in one of the medical vehicles. I really missed him.





We ended on July 18th. We all survived and I think a lot of the youth came out of it stronger spiritually as well as physically. I would go again and again if given the opportunity. I just love trek - here's to 2013! (Victoria will be old enough to go - can you believe that?)

2 comments:

Stacey said...

that looks like it was so much fun!

Jen H said...

I loved trek when we did it eons ago and woudl love to be able to go as paretns some time!

One ?? though: In the crazy face picture of you what is the waterbottle on your apron for? It is not very accurate first of all. And secondly is it to keep the kids awake (spray them if they get out of line or start slacking??) :)