Monday, July 13, 2009

Road Rash ROCKS!

Well - I like to ride my bike - ALOT! So when my BFF Kayla asked if I could go for a long ride with her Monday morning, I said "Sure!" I first had to get permission to borrow Chris's bike since mine was in the shop for some gear shifting issues.
After I got the "you better take care of my bike & not wreck it" speech, my wish was granted & we were off. We got up early and headed out around 6 am. Chris had actually been working the previous night into early morning & had his bike all ready & waiting in the garage for me! How sweet!
Well, I thought we would try a different, more scenic route to catch the Legacy trail. Unfortunately, we ended up on the wrong side of the river and on a BMX track. We tried everything - just heading north but once we came to tall grass, the fear of ticks prevented that one. We hefted the bikes over fences & everything. We even rode around on the motorbike track for a bit. That was seriously fun! We figured out that there was no other way to get there without heading back out and onto the road. SO after a good half hour or so - we were again on our way to the trail. My theory is...if you don't try it out by exploring options - you don't learn, right? Let's say:
Lesson Learned!
Not long after we were on our way on the trail - a very unfortunate event occurred.
I totally wiped out! (It was actually pretty hilarious if you ask me.)
I was behind Kayla and just looking around, enjoying the beautiful morning when I suddenly looked ahead of me to find that I was dangerously close to her back tire. Well, when you look at something while riding - odds are, you WILL hit it...and I did. My front tire got stuck to her back & then I remember flying over the handlebars and into the tall grass on the side of the trail.
Oh it HURT! My left shoulder and head took the brunt of it as I crashed into the hard dirt. I tried to get up and that hurt too - so I just sat in the middle of the trail to catch my breath as others passed us by. They asked if I was ok - & I was...for the most part. I bet that was a sight to behold: Now you see her, now you don't & what IS that cloud of dust from? He, he.
Kayla was very concerned for my well being, but after the shock of the fall wore off, I was as good as new and we commenced our awesome bike ride!
Once we got back, I thought I should document the injuries. My left thigh and right hip were feeling a little burny & I saw that I had a little road rash. My right arm was also hurting.
Day one - left thigh bruises
Right arm - that was a big knot!

This is awesome - Day 2 & the bruises were crazy DARK! This is my left thigh again.
My silver lining that day was this:
I went and had my toes done! Don't they look all cute and sparkly?

Now, since we went on Trek - I wasn't able to get any other pictures of the progressing bruises. So after we got back I took this one. It is now practically gone.

I have some words of wisdom for you & your children:
Always wear a bike helmet! It doesn't matter if you are on a road or not - you could wipe out anywhere! Seriously, if I hadn't been wearing a helmet, my face & head would have been really scratched up & bruised.

2 comments:

Jen H said...

I am so glad that you did not mess up your lavely face and head! That would have been tragic!

Nice bruises sis.
"Are you sure there isn't a mark? It really hurts! Not so much here . . . or here . . . but right here."
"Nope, ship shape."
"Gosh, what happened to your face??"

Nicole said...

Love it - leave it to you to get that Tommy Boy quote in!