Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Trim -A-Tree

Today we finally gathered together to decorate our tree. We actually picked it out a couple days ago, but it was snowing so we had to let it dry in the garage before we could set it up.
We are of the few remaining families who insist on a real tree. No one can convince me that a fake one is better and that all you have to do is light a pine scented candle to get that new tree smell. Seriously, anyone trying to tell you that is EVIL! There is no substitute.
Chris has turned into a fire machine! There is always an occasion to build a fire...like, when it's cold, when he wants to set "the mood," when we are trimming the tree, or trying to get FHE started. (I am so glad that he is getting better at it too - no more need of spraying on an accelerant to make the flames bigger.)
Ta-Da!!! The tree is all done. Who doesn't like a good pose? This year as we were hanging the ornaments, I was reminded of different things. As is tradition, every year we were given an ornament. Sometimes it represented a life milestone, or it related to us some way. I wanted to share a few of my favorites.
This angel was given to me by my Grandmother Call Dec. 1982. I love it because it is the only ornament I have from her and the fact that I still have it intact is wonderful. It is always placed near the top of the tree to insure it's survival.

This angel was from my Grandma Lyndaker. As far as I know, it is the only one I have from her and it is even more special since she passed away and I only have a few things from her. It is so beautiful when the light sparkles through it.

This is awesome! It was painted by a very famous artist at the ripe age of 2, my sister - Jennie! We don't have many old family things since our family home burned down back in PA. I am lucky to have this still. It was a gift from her to me in 1981.

The last one I am including in my walk-down-memory-lane is this one from my mom. It was from 1984. I started Kindergarten in 1983, but since it wasn't all day, I was picked up in a little van. In 1894 I actually started 1st grade and rode the bus to school, so my theory is I got this because it was my first time at a bus stop, waiting for a bus to get to school. (Mom, if I am way off here, let me know!)

1 comment:

Jen H said...

You are totally off -- your rocker. Just kidding.

I love Victoria's pose. In her uber-large T-shirt she looks like an angel.

We have a fake tree by necessity. We got one given to us a few years ago and free is always better than $30-$50 for a decent beautiful fresh evergreen smelling tree. It makes me sad every time I set it up. Sniff Sniff!