Saturday, August 8, 2009

It's 1:45 am & I am driving...

Today was a great day! I went scrap booking - the uninterrupted way. That means that I pack up all my goods and head south to a scrap booking store in Sandy and then get to work on some MAJOR backlogged pictures. I arrived about 1:00 pm and immediately set to work. I got so much accomplished.
But, you see, that is not the purpose of this post. My purpose this morning is to release some pet peeves, pent up aggression, anger, possible road rage....ok - it's not that bad. (But it is really close!)
So I am driving home at 1:45 AM. I get on I-15 and make my way north. Now, I know how to properly drive down the road. The far right lane is considered the "Driving Lane" so that means that it should be the lane where you DRIVE. I am cruising at a speed of 70, just 5 over the limit. There are not many cars out on the road at this hour - I maybe met one every couple miles or so... and I come upon a van 2 lanes over to the left of me putting their way north as well. So - I pass them - on the right side! Now, for you drivers, that is not the lane for passing vehicles since it is, indeed, the DRIVING LANE. So should I have crossed over 3 lanes of traffic just to pass ol' pokey?
Just for kicks & giggles, I thought of an experiment. I decided to try to stay in the far right, driving lane the entire way home. Just to see who would be using it correctly between the hours of 1:45 & 2:00 am. When the lane ended, I merged left and when the on ramp turned into a lane, I moved back to the right...all the way home, passing cars to my left all the way. (And not just in the very next lane - some 2 & 3 lanes over & WHO needs the commuter lane at that hour anyway???) Just before my exit, I came across one driver who was actually in the same lane as I was. Yay! I didn't have to change lanes to pass or anything since they were traveling at a normal freeway speed as well.
So I got to thinking...why are people so, for the lack of a good word - SO DUMB??? Here are a couple of those perplexing questions and my theory of answers.
Q: Why do they stay in those far left lanes when they have no need to pass anyone?
A: It is too hard to turn on the turn signal to get over. But wait! Hardly anyone even uses turn signals here in our great state - or actually acknowledges the fact that you have had yours on for the past couple miles, trying to merge & they are "unaware" of the presence of another vehicle and the driver's "Hey - will you look my way for a second" stare down.
Q: Why do parents hold their children in their laps - or even allow small ones in the front seat at all?
A: "They are not in danger. No one will hit us - we are just heading here for a few miles...minutes...hours." "Just have this cute little baby - I can just hold them if we hit something." Want to hear a factoid about that??? A 25 pound child turns into about a 200+ pound heffer when you are traveling at 60 miles an hour. Imagine a child who is around 8-9 years old and in the front - what kind of poundage do you think that would be hitting a windshield. "Oh, but they are buckled in.." Think again sucka - they are not big enough for that front seatbelt to fit them properly & bad things can & will happen.
So, I admit that I used the "Driving Lane" as a passing lane on my way home...but I think I would have been more likely to be pulled over if I started passing everyone on the left side as I crossed 2 & 3 lanes of traffic to do so.
So, now that I released some demons there...I would like to open this one up to all my fun readers. What peeves you - do you disagree with my opinions???

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I absolutely HATE people who cut off motorcyclists or drive up on their butts. I think aggressive bullies are the major cause of MY road rage. I have bee tempted numerous times, to put my vehicle in PARK in the middle of the freeway, get out, and walk up to the window of the asshole hot on my tail behind me just to give them a piece of my mind. But what do you think? Most who know me well tell me I might wind up getting shot. But hey, it might be worth it for justice's sake.

Jen H said...

I don't know why you are upset Nicole. Isn't that how you are supposed to drive: oblivious to those around you, minding your own business, ignoring any indication that you may have to react to another driver for your or their safety. :)

bjohnston said...

I always *love* what I call the Utah Flight Formation: people driving in tandem, never allowing anyone to pass. I guess they don't want to abandon their wingman.