Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sugar: My Nemesis

Hey! What can I say? I am ALL ABOUT the FOOD!!!
I love Thanksgiving dinner & all the fabulosity that comes along with it. Some of you may be thinking....maybe you should lay off the food a little Nicole, maybe that would help you drop a few...you're right...but I don't normally eat stuffing out of the bowl. In my defense, there was too little to put away as left overs so I just finished it off.
I am sure you have all been waiting to hear this one. What's with the sugar???
Well, we all did our part for the feast. Mom started on the pumpkin pies, I made the mashed potatoes, Jennie made the most wonderful rolls & twice baked sweet potatoes, Crystal made this yummy appetizer cheese dip. There was much more to make so the kitchen was a flurry of activity. I even kept up with the dishes as we went along - something, I think, I have never done in my life! Once it was all done, we all gathered around the tables. (Side note: Victoria had an emotional moment when she was tired of always being with the little kids and just wanted to sit at the adult table. Hey we know how it feels, we've all been there. But normally it is when you are a teenager with little kids....she is only 8 people! Mom was great & gave her her own little table complete with candle....I would have just told her to suck it up...way to go Grandma!)
Now we are getting to the meat of this story - so to speak. After dinner was done, out came the dessert. In my opinion, the BEST part. Well, it turns out that Tom & I LOVE pumpkin pie. So we agreed to go ahead and take one for ourselves & go horde it in the corner. We got out the whipped cream and forks & we were ready to rock and roll!Here we go! Getting it all ready to eat. Note: Who needs a plate?
Getting the first bite...noticing that they are now taking pictures of the entire event. I love Tom's face in this one! I am thinking that he really didn't think I would just eat it like that.
OOPS - it slipped off my fork. What was I thinking anyway? An entire piece doesn't just sit on a regular fork. I should have grabbed a serving fork or small spatula.

Here it is.....the whopping finale......quote:

I FORGOT TO TO PUT THE SUGAR IN THIS PIE!!!!!

I had finished putting the pies together because Mom got started on other things.

Alright, dry your tears. There is no crying over pumpkin pie (even though I wanted to crawl under a rock.) We just added more whipped cream, poured about a tablespoon of sugar on the slice & mashed it all up together. I have no doubt that it will be a family story for years to come.

  • Gas to travel to Grandma's $40.00
  • Thanksgiving diner with the entire family $150
  • Movie for the kids to watch $15.00

  • Nicole the "chef" having a little "Humble Pie": PRICELESS!

3 comments:

Jen H said...

Now that was a great story! Great post, sis!

Stacey said...

LOL that facial expression is priceless!

Unknown said...

OK Nicole I just have to say in your moms defience .... THAT's what grandma's are for and I remeber my mom( or your grandma) doing it many many times. IT IS GREAT BEING A GRANDMA!!!!!!!