Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!!!

We made all the calls...we forgot to send out the cards...but all in all - it was a pretty good day!


But before I tell you about me...I want to give a shout out to my MOM. She has been through some crazy things with me & my siblings and she has been great. I didn't find this out until recently, but growing up, our place was THE PLACE to be. My friends found our home to be a refuge from their lives and I know it is because of my mom and the spirit she brought into our home. I hope and pray that I can can continue that tradition in my home. So...I wanted to give the Top Ten List of why "My Mom is the greatest because:"


10. I no longer have a desire to pass on the Tuna Casseroles to my girls. (It was kinda a staple growing up.)

9. She taught me that patience is a virtue.

8. She made me learn how to sew. Really - I despised it!

7. No matter what I did - I was welcome to come back home.

6. She taught me the importance of quality time, not necessarily quantity.

5. She taught forgiveness through example.

4. She attended my every sporting or band concert event possible. Even though, more often than not, we looked like pumpkins in our orange & black school colors.

3. That brings me to unconditional love...she made sure we knew that we were important to her.

2. She loves my Dad and we are an eternal family.

1. She taught me that at the end of the parental rainbow...there are grandchildren.

Ok - this one is the cherry on the top:

Without her part and curious nature, I would not be blessed to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, have a wonderful husband (whom I met at said church) and two beautiful daughters who are sealed to me for eternity!

Happy Mother's Day!!



So, back to me....I know - that is a lame intro. But...my Mother's Day was great! I was able to get up and get ready for the day...just myself! I didn't have to get the girls together. (Which is a normal thing anyway..it just felt better today!) I didn't even have to help Chris pick out a tie to wear! He, he. Christianna made her bed & I even had time to paint my toe & finger nails. After church, I came home, ate lunch & relaxed. Hmmm...it is weird typing that one: "I relaxed."


I curled up in the guest bed with my latest book, The Host. I was able to read uninterrupted! I even dozed off a little and woke up to the sound of the phone ringing. Jennie called to wish me a Happy Mother's Day and then, I smelled IT.



Dinner was ready and it smelled & looked fantastic! I just had to take a picture. (You know, so when I am so frustrated sometime down the road, I can look back and say "Huh, he CAN be a really great guy sometimes!")


How this fabulous dinner came about was kinda funny...I was personally tired of the regular spaghetti dinner for my special occasions, so we took a trip to Sam's club. We ended up deciding on the Chicken cordon bleu, fresh grilled asparagus & mashed taters..which were leftovers from a previous dinner. But I didn't care! I didn't have to do the reheating!


Chris had given me fresh flowers on Saturday and the girls gave me their cute gifts that they made in school and I loved it! But the best part was that we had a really great day! There was hardly any arguing - I actually can't remember any. Now if that isn't the most wonderful gift to a mom, I don't know what is!

2 comments:

Jen H said...

Ditto about all the reasons mom is super cool. I didn't fight the sewing thing though, I actually enjoyed it and still do. I guess that is just one more reason why I am the favorite daughter (that and my genuine sweetness and perfection in my teenage years).

lys said...

My school colors were orange and black too. Who thought year-round Halloween was a good idea???!!! Seriously.