Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Camping is AWESOME!!



Well last Friday afternoon into Saturday the girls & I went camping with our ward. It was a camping extravaganza! We got up there and chose a camping area away from everyone who was there already. We were warned of certain snorers (I will not name any names here) so that explains the distance - not that we don't like to socialize or anything. Plus it was a good workout up the hill to our area. After we set up our tent, I made our dinner. We were neighbors with another family who also had 2 girls so the kids were having the time of their lives! Just think - dirt, walkie-talkies, flashlights, dirt, dogs, friends, did I mention dirt....what more could one ask for in a camping trip, right?
That night we had a nice fire & everyone came to roast marshmallows & make S'mores. YUMMY! I taught Victoria the fine art of roasting a marshmallow without engulfing it in flames. Christianna really liked the burning part. Seriously, she kept putting on the marshmallow, burning the outside to a crisp, and then giving them to me so she could burn another one. She didn't even like to eat them that way - she just liked to see them burn. Um, pyro? It has me a little worried, I mean fire is fascinating and everything, but it makes you wonder what will come of it later in life. I will keep you posted on that.
That night we snuggled into our sleeping bags and practically froze! I forgot how cold it gets up in the mountains at night. The girls seemed to sleep fine and luckily the bathroom trips down the hill didn't start until 5:30 am...after there was some light outside. I could see my breath! That is how cold it was folks. Next time I will remember the winter fleece or flannel pj's & extra blankets. Brrrrrrrr....
The next morning started early - as I mentioned the early bathroom trips. We were up by 7:30 and got ready for breakfast. Thankfully, a meal that I didn't have to prepare...eggs, pancakes, hashbrowns, & sausage.

Then we got changed and headed for the lake. It was also cold, meaning the water. But of course, the snow melting in the mountains - goes into the lake....it was like putting your hand in a glass of ice cold water. Not that it made any difference to the girls. Their legs were so red from the water temperature, but they really didn't care. We went canoeing too! It was interesting to be the only one paddling. The girls wanted to help - but after Victoria's first try of paddling the opposite way...I had them take a break. We ended up taking a rowing break back at the boat launch & the girls just played in the water. We did another quick trip out again later on and we just had a fabulous time! I did lighten up and let them take turns rowing...I guess I found the patience to teach them how to do it right that time.

Victoria tried a little kayaking and really took to it well. There was a very nice gentleman there who let her try it out - which totally made her day! So there is another "I wish I had..." item for her list.

Christianna couldn't go without injury. That girl is such a klutz! She can trip over her own feet. Pretty much, a day doesn't pass where she isn't injured in some way! It may be hard to see, but she fell in the water on the cement of the boat launch & totally scraped her knees up! She wanted a band aid, but I refused until she was done playing in the water. The one knee now has a pretty nice scab the size of a quarter!

All in all, it was a really fun time. Christianna threw a fit when it was time to head home. She told me that she wanted to live there forever. Oh, a girl after my own heart! It really made me homesick for Pennsylvania & the greenery there.

So, where was Chris? Well, there was a special tactical training Saturday morning that he needed to be at. Bummer huh? We really missed having him there, but that just means that we will need to go on a family camping trip before the summer is over.

1 comment:

Jen H said...

Those photos are great! It looks like you guys had a blast.