Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pulling Teeth 101


First, start out with a VERY loose tooth....preferabley one that can practically be pushed horizontal but is hanging on by a little skin. Then take a nice long piece of dental floss in both your hands.

Then, take the floss and wrap it around said loose tooth. Tie it once around the tooth. You do not want to knot it here...you need to be able to pull it through, literally cutting it out of their mouth.

Next, since you will mostly have a freaked out kid who is deathly afraid of pain, reassure them. Tell them that it is ok, you will not REALLY hurt them TOO BADLY...

Oh, and tell them "Don't cry." That always works. (Yeah right!)

Encourage the child to be independent. "Go on...pull it yourself!" But do not get too discouraged when they can't bring themself to do it and proceed to cry...I mean water works here, so have a poncho on hand.



No matter what: DO NOT GET UPSET WITH THE CHILD. It will cause an emotional breakdown and all the work you have done will be wasted. Let them walk away, with the floss hanging from their face. After they have been comforted by Mom, sneak up to them...stealthily, like a cat....and YANK it out of their face.


The child may sputter a little, in shock of course...but after they spit that little sucker out into their hand...they will be so proud of their bravery!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

very cute post!! well written!

Jen H said...

I love you! The way you tell the little story I can totally see how the whole thing played out.

The last pic says it all too. I am brave (pay no attention to the extra wetness in my eyes). :)

Jess G said...

Oh my gosh, how cute!! She is one brave little girl. I hated that as a kid. Though I don't think my stories were as cute. I seem to remember older siblings trying to tie it to doorknobs and all kinds of crazy things!!

what a cutie!