Sunday, May 18, 2008

Good Mornings

Picture 18:

Have you ever just had a good morning? And not just you - but everyone, under the same roof have a good morning at the very same time? It definately is a rare thing and so rare, that I had to write about it. This beautiful Sunday morning we all woke up about the same time...around 9 am. Now for those that know us and more especially Christianna, you know that it is HUGE! (She is up by 7:30 practically every day.)

We gathered together on our bed and had our morning scripture reading and then something awesome happened! I started to talk about our family and began with stories about the girls' Great-Grandparents. I told them about the first time I ever met my Grandpa Roscoe Call. He was telling me and my cousin John about his special arrowhead. It was on a string around his neck. He was telling us how he used it to fight off someone... Now, he was the type that loved to tell stories and very often, you had to really search his eyes to know if it was true or just another one of his tall tales, and even then - it was hard to tell! He was a great person. He passed away about 6 1/2 years ago and I think of him so very often. I wish that the girls had had a chance to meet him here on earth. They will just have to wait until we meet him again at Jesus' feet. I also told them a little about Grandma Call's life. The girls have only known her out of all their Great-Grandparents. She is such a strong woman and example to me. I told them how she raised her 6 girls on her own for years after her first husband left. We talked about her second husband, Leon Maher. He later passed when I was around 1 year old. Then, some years after that, she married Grandpa Call. He was the one I really knew and loved dearly.


I then talked about my Grandma & Grandpa Lyndaker. I told them about one time, in particular, that I remember. I don't even think I was very old either. We were in New York for a family reunion at their camp. Grandpa sat down with all the grandkids, each with a plate of spaghetti, a fork & spoon. Then he taught all of us how to eat the spaghetti with that fork & spoon. I don't remember how I did, but that memory still makes me smile. I don't have that many memories with him, but I am glad I have that good one. He died when I was in fifth grade. That is a year I will never forget. He was diagnosed with lung cancer and everytime he had a turn for the worst, I was taken out of school and we drove the almost 4 hours north to the hosptal in New York. The image of him in the hospital, his body whithering away from cancer, will always be with me. I am glad that I have some good memories to look back on.


Now, I didn't really go into that with the girls today since we were having a time of good memories. After we talked about the fun stories, we went out to the living room and knelt in family prayer. It truly was a glorious morning! Around 5 PM this evening, in honor of my Grandpa Lyndaker, we ate spaghetti for dinner and Chris & I taught Victoria & Christianna how to eat it with a fork and spoon.

1 comment:

Jen H said...

What a sweet post! I still remember doing the spaghetti thing with Grandpa Lyndaker. An Grandpa Call sure was a character!!