Monday, May 26, 2008

Remembering them....

Picture 26


Today is Memorial Day. Normally we are celebrating Victoria's birthday, but we still have a couple days to go. I wanted to dedicate today's picture to those who have served our country in the past, those who are now serving & those who want to in the future. Also to their families - who I think are equally needing to be honored. (I hope I don't step on any toes here.)
I am thinking particularly about my very good friend Debbie. Her husband has been overseas for almost a year & he is finally returning home on Wednesday. She has been taking care of her 4 children and her bedridden Grandmother pretty much on her own. Honestly, I don't know how she can keep things together! I truly admire her. I know it has been hard for her but I can honestly say, that I haven't heard a complaint about him being away at all. She knows it's hard and I have a small glimpse of how difficult it is for her, but she has been amazing through it all.
Women and families like her are the backbone of this country. I wanted to say "Thank You." It almost doesn't even seem like a big enough word to use, but it is all I have. Thank you for supporting our soldiers. Thank you for letting your husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, Uncles, Aunts and friends leave - not knowing if they will return - trusting that they are doing their duty and hoping they will make it back ok.
Of course, thank you to all the soldiers who have served in the military forces. I think you are a special breed. It is hard for me to even comprehend all that you have seen and that you still have a strong desire and will to serve. We have you to thank for the freedoms we can enjoy in America. I love our country. I love how we can come together in hard times and be a united people. A prayer for all those families who have lost someone, may you find peace and strength in knowing how much they are appreciated. Thank you for all that you have done.

No comments: