Friday, May 23, 2008

Ode to nights!


Picture 23
The evenings are an important time of my day. Particularly after 8. This is the time when the girls are in bed - and on really good nights, are actually asleep. I can sit and do whatever I want! I can read, vegge out in front of the TV, make phone calls, work my business, catch up on laundry or other housework, or just spend time with my husband.
I have even been known to take that time to reward myself with a relaxing foot soak & pedicure - on those really crazy, "I am going to pull out my hair," kind of days. You know what I am talking about!
Even though it is mundane, the nights are a HUGE part of my life & day. Can anyone relate to this?
  • The day is so crazy that you are actually counting down the hours...maybe even minutes & seconds..until the kids are in bed?
  • When your husband arrives home from work - again you have counted that down as well...you are waiting by the door, ready to leave for some "alone" time...and you announce as you are going out the door "You can feed them cereal for dinner. I am out of here."
  • Burnout stage: Your significant other arrives home to find you comatose on the couch as the house is falling in on you and the kids are literally hanging from the ceiling. (Granted, this literal situation hasn't happened to me yet - but some days sure do feel like it!)

Now, not all days are like this...but with the pending summer vacation............Let's just say, I have a bad feeling about more days being like this. I need to adopt a new mantra, "Stay positive, think of the good." (Like school is back in session in about 2 months and I still have my nights to myself.)



1 comment:

Jen H said...

Good one. I especially like the visual I got while reading 'burnout stage'.