Friday, May 9, 2008

My Mom


About my Mom (pictured here with another great lady - my Grandma)


1. What is your funniest memory of Mom?


  • It is hard to pick the funniest...but this one comes to mind. One night, during the cold winter in Pennsylvania, we were returning home w/ some groceries. I remember holding some milk as we were carrying it into the house. You see, every winter, our driveway normally turned into an ice track. We would park a little farther away from the house in the driveway - before it sloped down a little more... Anyways, I was carrying a gallon of milk & totally wiped out! I feel hard right down, lost the milk & it started gushing everywhere. My mom turned around at the sound of me falling and continued to hysterically laugh at me. For awhile too! Never did ask if I was ok. Talking about it now - it is funny. We have adopted that "tough love" attitude with our children. When they fall or get a little hurt - we laugh too! Mainly so they learn to laugh things off & not get hysterical with each little owie. We know the difference of a major injury vs. a small boo boo based on the cry. (I just don't want to sound like a bad parent.)


2. What lesson that she taught you stands out?


  • To drive really fast past big trucks. (This one needs to be explained. Many, many moons ago our family was traveling on the highway - I think we were returning home from New York - for some reason our family of 6 was split between 2 cars. I was traveling with my mom in the front passenger seat. At one point we were passing a large trailer truck and the driver did not see us passing - so he preceeded to get into our lane. And, still didn't notice, even when we were run off the road! I was a little freaked out & as soon as we stopped, she looked at me and said "You could have just been beheaded!" -THANKS MOM! So ever since, I have this urge to fly past truckers w/ great speed. Do you think a cop would let me off for that if I was caught speeding by?

3. What is your favorite characteristic or personality trait about Mom?


  • She is a courageous, stubborn and determined woman. (May seem like the same thing...) When she has it in her mind to do something - she does it! Also, she passed a huge milestone last year! It was overcoming her ginormous fear of heights - at least for the rock climbing she did that day. Who knows if she will ever do it again, but she tried it once & I was so proud of her.

  • Her faith - she has taught me alot about faith. She had faith when I reared off the beaten path those years ago, and since then through the many things I have experienced in my life. I know that things will work out for me as they are supposed to. I have faith that, as long as I am doing all I can to do the right things in life, things will be ok.

4. What do you see in yourself that came from her, physically or in your personality?


  • This is kind of a hard one! Ever since I was little, I was referred to as "Little Ron." We both like artsy fartsy stuff, painting, creating etc...she likes sewing alot & I do that for neccessity. I am also starting to acquire the little grey hairs & the crinkle forehead spot - right between the eyebrows....you know what I am talking about mom...looks kinda like this: \ /

  • Also, there are those times when I am frustated with the girls & I throw out one of those famous quotes that you heard as a kid... and say to yourself - I am turning into my mother! So far I haven't used the "I brought you into this world, I can take you out!" But we aren't at the teenage years yet.

5. List as many things as possible that she has done for you.


  • Encouraged my ideas, thoughts, plans

  • Loved me no matter what

  • Taught me what unconditional love is

  • Gave me fabulous art lessons when I was a teen

  • Let me use the "box" car when I needed to go to work or anywhere really

  • Invited the missionaries over to teach us about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

  • Been a great Grandma to the girls and is willing to take them for periods of time when we go somewhere

  • She was the best personal driver for all the sporting activities, plays & other school activities we were involved in. She would even go to the cemetary with me when I would have to play the echo of taps for memorial days & other things. (Come on people - I was just the echo - down the hill, where no one could even see me...)

  • A great Cheerleader! I don't think she ever missed a game or performance!

  • Instilled a great love for Holiday decorating - especially Christmas. (We have at least 6 totes of decorations just for Christmas.)

  • Taught me the "blessings" of being a girl. - That was the most embarrassing moment of my life!

  • She gives me advice - to use or not - when I am having a problem.

  • She laughs at my hardships with my own girls and helps me see things in a different light.

  • She is just a great lady & I am so glad that she's my mom.

I know that there are many more things that she has taught me and there are also many more fun memories with her. But this has been a great thing for me to think about all those things! I love you Mom! Happy Mother's Day!!!

2 comments:

Jen H said...

Good job! As far as the truck goes I remember watching it happen. It was scarry and Dad was ticked - stupid truck driver! To this day I fly past trucks too.

Stacey said...

I have learned to fly past trucks too, especially when on the freeway doing 80 mph on my motorcycle...now THAT'S scary! If they don't see cars, they certainly dont see bikes.

Hey...and what's wrong with the echo? I always thought it was fun listening for the mysterious echo down the hill. You seemed to always bury yourself further away than the "echo's" that played in the years before you. I think it was to show THEM how much louder you can play! You may have been the echo, but we were all listening for you!